Páginas

Thursday 5 January 2017

The Santorini Diaries - the basics





So, my first post in this blog had to be about Santorini, because not that many people know it and, from all the destinations I went to this summer, this island definitely was the one which got more attention from my friends.


How to get there

First things first, where is this paradise located? It belongs to the Greek Islands, more particularly to the Cyclades group. It's a volcanic island, basically what remained from a volcano explosion and it has the shape of a moon. Although known as Santorini, the official name of this island is Thira (the capital is also named Thira). 
Basically you can get there from anywhere, by plane or boat. If you are traveling from Greece or Turkey I would definitely recommend going on a boat, as it is much cheaper. Personally, I took the flight from Venice, which was direct and took two hours. It was really early, at 6 am in the morning, and It had a delay of 1:30h because Santorini's airport is so small it can only support one landing at a time. I paid 100€ for the flight and I booked 4 months in advance. Plus, I travelled with EasyJet, so you can see how expensive it can get.


How to prepare yourself for Santorini

One of the most important things is that you need to bring sunscreen, because there the sun is very intense. I come from sunny Lisbon, so believe me that if you don't wear sunscreen, you will suffer! A bathing suit is also a must. I wore bikini all the time, as I never knew when I was feeling so hot that I wanted to dive somewhere. After all, you're surrounded by water, so wearing a bathing suit is the best choice. Advice: if you want to look good in photos, wear white clothes! Santorini is a blue and white paradise and every little corner will amaze you.
Regarding money, you don't need much. Everything in Santorini is ridiculously cheap, even for us, who were on a budget. 

Blue and white everywhere!


How to get around 

As soon as we arrived at the airport (it's really small!) we rented a car. We literally asked for the cheapest car the company had. It wasn't Europcar or anything, it was this unknown Greek company. The truth is, we ended up paying 60€ for three days with the car (we were two, so 30€ each) which was really cheap! If you are going to Santorini I strongly recommend you rent a car or a motorbike because there public transportation just doesn't work! 
Driving there is pretty easy, but I'm wanting you: Greeks don't have any tolerance for anything that concerns the roads, so if you are an unskilled or nervous driver be prepared for frequent honks! Also, driving at night can be very challenging because the road is very curvy and there aren't any lights, apart from the centre.
You will not need much gas. We spent 15€ in gas for the three days and we drove a lot! There's a big road which goes through the whole island, from Oya (north) to Perissa (south). To get to the hotels you need to park somewhere (parking is usually free) and then walk - on those streets you will only see people and some donkeys. 

So, this is the basics of Santorini. On the next post I'll write about where to stay. A very important decision, although no matter where you stay, you will have a breathtaking view!



No comments:

Post a Comment